Based in Tokyo, Takeshi Hosaka is a renowned architect, artist and university professor, who established his independent business, TAKESHI HOSAKA, architects in 2004. Since then his works have won countless awards and been featured by digital magazines such as ArchDaily, Dezeen, and DesignBloom. It is difficult to summarize his work, as each new design is a unique experiment in creative form. However, whether it is a church, or a court house, an office, or a home, Takeshi Hosaka’s singular designs create playful spaces, full of light, which challenge our ideas of the lines between the interior and exterior world. The architect himself emphasizes the importance of imaginative creation to find brilliant solutions for his clients’ requirements, saying: "When I create an architectural design, I always make a sketch, 99% of which of course doesn't work out. From the remaining 1%, though, amazing things appear… Architecture is a reality, but we shouldn't call it simply a reality, since it creates something that exceeds reality… It takes what was born into the imaginary world and transfers it to the tangible world of architecture.”
2015 Kanagawa Archtecture Award 59th"Shonan christ church"
2015 Taipei International Design Award 2015"COURT HOUSE in NAGOYA"
2013 JIA New Generation Award "Daylight House"
2012 AR House Award 2012 Runners up "Outside in"
2011 LONDON AR House Award 2011 Runners up "Daylight House"
2011 Wood contest Prize Chairman of Japan Wood Center "Church school nursery"
2011 Germany contruct world award New Generation "HOTO FUDO"
2011 EuroShop//JAPAN SHOP Award "HOTO FUDO"
2011 EFHDA Prize of Modern Living "insidehouse & outsidehouse"
2011 Wood Architecture Award "Church school nursery"
2010 LONDON AR Award 2010 HGHLYCOMMENDED "HOTO FUDO"
2010 Hong Kong DFA Award winner/silver award "HOTO FUDO"
2010 Austria Daylight Spaces Award 2010 winner "LOVE HOUSE"
2010 England WA Awards winner "HOTO FUDO"
2010 MSA Awards shortlist "Hongodai church school & nursery"
2009 EFHDA Rrize "Garden House"
2009 LONDON AR Award 2009 "LOVE HOUSE"
2008 Tokyo Society of Architecture House Award "Garden House""LOVE HOUSE"
2007 SD Review Asakura Prize "Garden House"
2007 Tokyo Society of Architecture House Award "Acrylic House"
and many more
This summer our editor, Michael Lambe, sat down in a Kyoto cafe with Kaz Shigemitsu the founder of ZenVita. They talked about his background, about his company's mission to promote Japanese architects and designers overseas, and about his future plans for ZenVita.Read More
The beauty of the Japanese aesthetic is increasingly inciting curiosity in the West. One of its most remarkable characteristics and clear to see in Japanese architecture, is its simplicity. Yet despite this simplicity, designs are both profound and retain a sense of mystery. Two aesthetic concepts that help us to better understand these characteristics are the ideals of yugen and shibui.Read More
To the outside world, Japan may seem like an exotic, far-off place with a writing system and traditions which are equally incomprehensible. Nevertheless, Japan has for centuries exerted a strong attraction for all kinds of people: whether they are scholars, artists, architects or manga enthusiasts.Read More
In Japan, an ochaya (お茶屋), or tea house, is an establishment where patrons are entertained by geisha. These are traditional Japanese female entertainers who are trained as professional singers, dancers, and conversational companions for men. Usually, thesRead More